Coming from a large family with little extra income, my seven siblings and I were lucky to be taken to dinner on our birthday or occasionally out for ice cream. So we certainly never visited Disneyland. When we were dating, Rob decided to remedy that little void in my existence by taking me. I was 18 and had known him a matter of months and for some unfathomable reason my parents agreed to let us go. He was rather charming.
At any rate, he ran me hither and yon like an excited little boy showing off a new toy, despite the fact that he had visited practically yearly while growing up. Sometime around four o'clock I ran out of steam and was accused of not fully appreciating the happiest place on earth. To this day Rob still tells people I hate Disneyland, merely because I was too tired to jump with glee after a mere seven hours of "happiness". Apparently this kind of fun takes some working up to.
So it is really no wonder that my girls took to Disneyland like fish to water. Clearly they are used to action packed days. . .or they take after their father--who I affectionately call the Disneyland Nazi. Fun. will. be. had. . .or else.
And believe me, if fun was not had it was definitely not from lack of trying.
It was an ideal time of year. No big crowds, and no long lines. Plus the park was awash with Christmas cheer in the form of garlands, ornaments, lights and holiday music--even snow, that looked suspiciously like bubbles (shot from overhead to drift down on crowds of winter deprived locals and bewitched visitors alike). . .not that we really took time to stop and take in the seasonal wonders of Disney--at least not for long. There were far more important things to attend to.
We visited the Princess Faire and the Princess dinner at Ariel's Grotto, as well as the ever popular Fairy Hollow, so we could fill out autograph books with pictures and signatures. . .
We rose early to meet Mickey, the mayor of Toon Town, (and became honorary citizens) and we ate dinner in Goofy's Kitchen, to make sure we didn't miss out on any key characters.
And we rode every ride Rob had boyhood memories of. . .ate at all his favorite lunch spots. . .lost children on Tom Sawyer's Island. . .consoled, bribed, lied, and distracted a scared five year old into staying up 'til ten to see the renowned firework show (which was so worth it) and even found time to let the girls choose a few activities themselves. . .which resulted in riding It's a Small World four times, visiting the Tiki Room two times, and attending a Royal coronation where we learned to curtsy, bow and do the royal dance. Beyond that we consumed ice cream, popcorn, cotton candy and gallons of Diet Coke--Signe's favorite!
We managed to avoid the face painting the girls were dying to experience, but we did arrive home sporting a lovely Mermaid ensemble in a size 6--magic wand included, and the proud owners of a very large, rather expensive Lego city (either for the 9 year old or the the 35 year old. . .I am not sure which).
And if that little run down on our five day whirl wind tour did not wear you out or fulfill you adequately feel free to sit a while and watch our exploits filter across your screen.
If you need me I will be in bed. . .for not nearly as long as I would like.










1 comment:
i hadn't been to D-Land since 1980, and I have to admit that I LOVED going back (but only for the 4 hours I was there!). I went with Mystery Man, whose son is autistic, so we had a pass to get to the front of every line. That was pretty cool! And the snow was awesome!
Love the pictures of the girls. They look in heaven amongst the fairies and princesses! (Ariel's grotto---ha ha ha!!!). And way to represent Boise State! woo-hoo!
Post a Comment